Roofing Materials Calculator
Roofing materials calculator helps homeowners estimate roof size and the cost of roofing materials needed to re-roof a house. Roofing materials list is calculated based on your roof type (Gable, Hip or Mansard roof), roof size (ground dimensions) and roof pitch.
Calculate roofing materials and prices now:
In this version of this roof materials calculator, you will only be able to estimate the cost and materials list for asphalt roofing shingles. We are working on including the metal roofing materials into the calculator. However there are certain issues that will have to be resolved before metal roofing materials such as standing seam or metal shingles can be added. We will add metal roofing results soon.
How to use the roofing materials calculator
This roofing calculator calculates the roof area based on the ground measurement you provide, as well as roof pitch measurements. It adds 5% waste factor for a Gable Roof, and 7.5% waste factor for a Hip and Mansard roof types.
Plug in your roof dimensions into the calculator, making sure that width is the side where the roof gable / rake is. Choose the roof pitch and your roof type, and calculate the roof area, as well as roofing materials and prices.
Roofing materials prices are calculated for the following items, needed to install a new roof:
- Roofing Shingles – Number of bundles needed to install new roof, including waste. Prices calculated for 30 years architectural asphalt shingles.
- Roof Underlayment – We included Ice and Water Shield along the eaves of the roof (Ice & Water shield is required by Building Code in many Norther states, to help prevent ice dams), as well as 30 lb. felt underlayment with 50% overlaps (double layer), which is a requirement for new roof installation in Massachusetts.
- Ridge/Hip Cap Shingles – Though many roofing contractors often use 3-tab shingles for Ridge and Hips, the asphalt shingles manufacturers require the Cap Shingles to be used for full warranty.
- Ridge Vent – Cobra or equivalent ridge ventilation system. Does not include soffit vent costs.
- Drip Edge – White aluminum drip edge metal installed on all exposed roof edges – eaves and gables. Though ins some parts of the US, its common not to use drip edge metal on gables / rakes, it is a common practice to do so in Massachusetts.
- Miscellaneous roofing accessories: – We included one box of 1 1/4″ galvanized roofing nails, 3 aluminum pipe flashings, 100 ct. of step flashing, and 3 tubes of roof caulking.
The above materials list should pretty much cover most simple roof installation, assuming the new roof is being installed over a properly prepared and vented roof deck – plywood or boards.
All prices are taken from Home Depot’s website on Oct. 29, 2010. Although most roofing contractors will buy their shingles from a roofing materials supplier, national home improvement store’s prices for roofing materials are pretty much in line with what contractors pay and sometimes even a bit less. Also it is much easier for the home owner to purchase roofing materials from a big-box home improvement store than from a roofing supplier.
Look forward to see the roofing prices for 24 gauge galvanized steel standing seam metal roof as well as other types of metal roofing materials added to this calculator.