Wind, hail and rain can severely damage your roof and can cause the following issues:
- Chipped or missing shingles
- Damaged gutterwork or drainage system
- Damaged fascia
- Damaged flashing
- Tree falling on roof/structural damage
- Interior leakage/water damage
You should inspect your roof for damages following the storm, but we do not advise that you climb on top of your roof to accomplish this. Here are a few things you can do to make sure your roof is intact following a strong summer storm:
- Walk around the perimeter of your house to check for debris. This may include missing shingles, granules, flashing, metal or fallen trees.
- Check the interior ceiling and walls of your rooms for water staining. Water damage is usually indicative of moisture in the attic which can be caused by a number of weather related factors.
- Take pictures and notes of any damage you find to relay to your insurance company or contractor. Prompt attention to storm damage can prevent further deterioration or property loss.
If you notice any damage or missing parts, call a roofing contractor immediately to obtain an estimate and begin the repair process
. Failing to repair a damaged roof can lead to more serious consequences, such as water damage to your structural framing and holes in your exterior sheathing.